KCCASA is currently seeking 2 interns in the fields of Social Work and Business.
Medical/Legal Advocate Intern, part time
Medical/Legal Advocate Intern
POSITION REPORTS TO: Advocacy Coordinator
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION: This position in collaboration with Olivet Nazarene’s University
(ONU) program will provide supportive and informational advocacy services to victims of sexual assault and human trafficking
during and after the hospital examination, police investigation and court proceedings. The advocate will
also develop, promote and encourage community sensitivity to sexual assault and human trafficking issues by providing training
for criminal justice personnel and medical personnel.
- arrive at hospital within 60 minutes of call;
- identify, explain and clarify medical procedures and options to victim during medical examination, follow-up care, and during law enforcement and criminal justice proceedings
- offer to call significant others as desired by the victim
- meet with significant others to provide support and information
- explain emotional and physical reactions the victim may expect during the next few weeks
- provide handouts and explanation of services available from rape crisis centers
- provide follow-up contact to victim within 48 hours when possible and conduct service evaluation;
- document all contacts and outcomes
- explain and clarify options to victims including reporting to police and States Attorney’s office
- serve as liaison with the police and States Attorney’s office and for court appearances
- accompany victim to court appearances
- document all contacts and outcomes from initial police report to court decision
- maintain required statistics in an accurate and timely manner
- make appropriate referrals
- maintain confidentiality
- provide professional training to medical and criminal justice personnel
- provide institutional advocacy within the medical and criminal justice systems
- assist with new volunteer training and crisis line coverage
- advise and make Supervisor aware of any problems or concerns with The Center
- assist with volunteer advocates monthly meeting as requested
- assist with the SART meeting as requested
- complete a minimum of six (6) hours per year of continuing education
- perform other duties as assigned.
Must be able to take a minimum of 7 shifts (including 2 weekend days) on the 24 hour crisis line. Must be
able to respond in person during these shifts.
- completion of 40-hour sexual assault and human trafficking training
- commitment to, and understanding of, issues surrounding sexual assault and human trafficking and its impact on victims’ lives
- specifically the psychological effects of victimization, needs and feelings of victims, impact of
institutional response and specifics of providing quality services to victims
- flexible availability
- ability to work well with others
- good organizational, computer, and presentation skills
- bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
For more information, contact Tom Greene at 815-932-7273 ext. 227 or email email@example.com
Business Assistant Intern, part time
Non Profit Business Assistant – Intern
Marketing/Business/HR/Finance/Communications/Graphic Design/Website/ Grant Writing
As a member of Kankakee County Center Against Sexual Assault (KCCASA), the Non Profit Business Assistant Intern is responsible for assisting the Executive Director/Administrative staff and other departments as assigned with daily business duties such as grant writing, community outreach efforts to increase awareness and utilization of KCCASA’s services according to KCCASA current Marketing Plan and other projects as assigned. The Non Profit Business Assistant Intern will help to positively impact the public perception of KCCASA, its personnel, and its services while enhancing his/her own educational experience.
ALL Majors Welcome: Marketing/Business/HR/Finance/Communications/Graphic Design/Web Design/ Grant Writing
Reporting Relationships: Works under supervision of the Executive Director.
Responsibilities and Functions:
- Assists in implementing marketing projects with duties that may include, and are not limited to, writing copy, making telephone contacts, scheduling presentations, distributing information, and planning events. Assume other projects and assignments as pertain to the intern’s field of study.
- Updates KCCASA + ISAS’s social networking sites.
- Assists in opportunities to educate the community about KCCASA + ISAS, including presentations and programs.
- Participates in staff/board meetings as required and requested.
- Practices confidentiality; maintains documentation and records consistent with agency policies and procedures
- Participates and assists as applicable in mission reinforcing and team building activities.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information and does not share information inappropriately.
- Competent user of KCCASA + ISAS software as applicable to job.
- Complies with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Satisfies mandatory training requirements regarding local, state or federal regulations and/or KCCASA’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains a professional demeanor under physical and emotional duress as required.
- Accepts constructive criticism and incorporate it into a personal and/or team performance improvement plan.
- Contributes to positive and professional facilitation, implementation and utilization of software and technology as it pertains to job function.
- Contributes to a positive attitude/atmosphere in the workplace.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Working toward a bachelor’s degree in marketing/communications, nonprofit business or human services related field and in an official internship program sponsored by an accredited college or university.
Experience and Skills:
- Ability to work within a team atmosphere, dealing with all employees, including administrative and patient/family care.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with and function in a professional manner with other professionals, staff, volunteers, clients, families, donors, and the
- Ability to collaborate effectively with community agencies.
- Commitment to continuing education to obtain knowledge and skills in the areas of business; also in nonprofit marketing.
- Exercises good independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to multi-task under pressure.
- Reliable transportation, valid Illinois driver’s license, and auto liability insurance for drivers
Careers with KCCASA + ISAS
KCCASA + ISAS staff are committed to supporting survivors and passionate about ending sexual violence. Periodically, there are opportunities to join our dedicated team. Open positions are listed below.